- Mosquito Protection Flyer in Florida
- Pwoteksyon pou Moustik Pa Mòde Moun nan Florida
- Prevenção da picada do mosquito na Flórida
- Prevención de Picaduras de Mosquitos en Florida
The information below is taken directly from the Florida Department of Health website for our Lauderhill residents benefit.
Mosquito-borne diseases are diseases that can be spread through the bite of mosquitoes. These diseases may be caused by a virus, also known as arboviruses, or can be caused by parasites. Several of the mosquito species found in Florida are capable of transmitting diseases to humans, horses, and other animals. Symptoms of these illnesses can range from mild to very severe.
Mosquito-borne diseases found in Florida include West Nile virus disease, Eastern equine encephalitis, and St. Louis encephalitis. Many other mosquito-borne diseases are found in different parts of the world, and can be brought back to Florida if infected people or animals are bitten by mosquitoes while in Florida. Some examples of these diseases include chikungunya fever, dengue fever, malaria, yellow fever, and Rift Valley fever.
Drain and Cover
- Drain standing water to stop mosquitoes from multiplying.
- Cover your skin with clothing and use mosquito repellent.
- Cover doors and windows with screens to keep mosquitoes out.
Stop mosquitoes from living and multiplying around your home or business. Protect yourself from mosquito's bites and the diseases they carry.
The information below is taken directly from the Broward County website for our Lauderhill residents benefit.
Spring and summer brings frequent, heavy rain to Broward County and rain brings mosquitoes. Intense spraying for mosquitoes normally begins in June. Broward County Mosquito Control conducts aerial and ground spraying that target neighborhoods where high populations of the insects have been trapped.
Mosquitoes are not only annoying, they can be a public health issue. The County Biologist regularly traps mosquitos, separates them by species and detects any potential viruses. Findings will determine the chemical application to be used and the type of spraying required.
Three Ways to Request Service
- Use the online Mosquito Spray Request Form
- Call 954-765-4062
- 954-831-3940 (TTY for hearing impaired)
The best protection from mosquito-transmitted diseases is to avoid exposure to mosquitoes.
- Keep doors and windows closed.
- Stay indoors at dusk and dawn.
- Dress in long-sleeved and light-colored clothing in a known mosquito-infested area.
- Apply insect repellent containing DEET sparingly to clothing and skin.
- Inspect your yards and drains. Store or dispose cans, old tires, buckets, unused plastic swimming pools or other debris that can collect and hold standing water which promotes breeding.
- Flush plants weekly.
- Repair leaky pipes.
- Maintain and clean roof gutters.
If you need mosquito spraying, call (954) 765-4062 or make an online Mosquito Service Request.