Hello Summer, Hello Safety!
The summer months are here, and so is that heat! One of the best ways we enjoy South Florida’s sun is to go for a swim, whether at a pool or the beach. Aside from that, we are surrounded by all sorts of bodies of water, be they canals, ponds, or lakes. Having a “Water Safe” mindset is of utmost importance.
Don’t underestimate water safety! Drownings can occur in a bathtub or even a bucket of water. They are the leading cause of death for children. In a moment’s notice, anyone, regardless of age, can drown in the time it takes to send a text message, answer a phone call, or any number of distractions that we have in our daily lives.
With education and awareness, these horrific accidents can be prevented!
The American Red Cross has created the “Circle of Drowning Prevention,” which provides layers of protection to prevent drowning accidents.
- Provide close and constant attention to children you are supervising in or near water.
- Fence pools and spas with adequate barriers, including four-sided fencing.
- Learn swimming and water-safety survival skills.
- Children, inexperienced swimmers, and all boaters should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
- Always swim in a lifeguarded area.
Please stay alert and continue to watch over one of our most precious resources, our children!