Precycle - Think before you buy!
The City of Lauderhill encourages you to
Did you know that your buying decisions could help provide better choices for our planet? Recycling is a market-driven industry. As such, if a commodity is not needed or wanted, it is recycled into other items. Those items are less desirable in the market and the need to recycle this item decreases. Unfortunately, this is occurring with glass. We are still collecting this item, but the market has drastically reduced.
How Can You Help?
1. At the store, if items are provided in glass or aluminum containers: Purchase the aluminum containers.
2. Recycle your glass items at home. Here are some ideas for what you can use them for:
- Use for vases.
- Glass jars are perfect for storing herbs and spices as they seal tightly, helping keep seasonings fresh. One idea is to store glass jars filled with herbs and spices inside a kitchen drawer.
- Glass jars are also easy to organize, especially if you use a number in the same size.
- Forget Tupperware. Glass jars are the best containers to use for carrying runny foods like soup and stew.
- Store your makeup brushes in glass jars for easier access.
- Nothing tastes better than salad dressing made from scratch and nothing is easier than using a glass jar to make salad dressing.
Did You Know?
*One piece of garbage in a recycling container makes it all garbage. Put garbage in its place!
*If you place your items in a plastic trash bag and then in your recycling container, the bag and everything in it is considered garbage and is removed from recyclables and sent to the garbage dump or incinerator.
*When food waste is present in your recyclables, it can cause the recyclables to be sent to the garbage dump or incinerator. Rinse your containers and place pizza boxes in your garbage container; they are not recyclable.
For more information, call (954) 730-3000, (954) 974-7500 or visit the City website.